Have You Suffered Hearing Loss or Ringing in your Ears?
What is 3M?
3M is a Fortune 500 American multinational company. It operates in 70 countries worldwide. It designs products for worker safety, industry, and US health care companies.
As of August of 2019, 3M Company and its subsidiary, Aearo Technologies, have over 2000 lawsuits in a Federal Court in Florida, for their dual-ended Combat Arms Earplugs. Major allegations 3M is accused of are,: knowingly committing fraud against the U.S. military, failing to warn the military and soldiers of the earplugs’ defects, and falsifying earplug test results.
3M Combat Arms earplug lawsuits are being filed by members of the military who served between 2003 and 2015 and suffered hearing loss and tinnitus caused by 3M’s earplugs.
Many of these lawsuits have been combined in a mass litigation in a Florida federal court.
What is Considered Hearing Loss and Tinnitus?
Symptoms of hearing loss, especially in Veterans are:
· Buzzing, whistling or ringing in the ears (tinnitus symptoms)
· Difficulty understanding conversations when you are in a noisy place, such as in a restaurant
· Difficulty understanding speech over the phone
· Having to ask others to speak more slowly and clearly
· Having to ask someone to speak more loudly or repeat what they said
· Hypersensitivity to or pain from certain sounds
· Muffled speech and other sounds
· Problem hearing high-pitched sounds such as bird chirps, alarm clocks or doorbells
· Trouble distinguishing between the sounds of s and f, between p and t or between sh and th in speech
· Turning up the volume of the television or radio
Tinnitus is a medical condition signified by the perception of noise or ringing in the ears. A common problem, tinnitus affects about 15 to 20 percent of people. Tinnitus isn't a condition itself — it's a symptom of an underlying condition, such as age-related hearing loss, or ear injury.
What it means for you
If you were a military member between the years 2003 - 2015, have used 3M combat arms earplugs, and suffer from hearing loss or tinnitus, you may be eligible to be included in the lawsuit.
Our active service members and veterans may not be the only group impacted. Many other people including factory workers, shooting range employees, industrial workers, airport employees, musicians, and construction workers use earplugs and may be at a higher risk of developing hearing disabilities.
What Can You Do?
If you have used 3M earplugs and experience hearing loss or tinnitus, call Kimmel, Carter, Roman, Peltz, & O’Neill, and we will review your case for free.
To schedule a consultation, call 302-565-6100 and one of our experienced Workers’ Compensation and Personal Injury attorneys will review your case.